Jeff Cooper

General rifle discussion goes here.
Forum Information
You will earn 3 pts. per new topic and 1.5 pts. per new post (reply) in this forum.

Topic Author
jimg11

Master (Level II)
Likes given: 45
Likes received: 12

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:05 am

I consider Jeff Cooper one of the best and most interesting men, teachers, and positive influences this country has had in the 20th century. Col. Cooper served his country in WW2. After the War he looked at the pistol that had saved his life and wondered how it could be used better and with others practiced, trained , and shot and came up with "the Modern Technique of the Pistol." I have been reading most of his writings since the late 1950s. As a police officer and police trainer , I feel that his study and practices and training have saved the lives of numerous Police officers, soldiers, and civilians. In the 1990s Jeff's attention also included the rifle. Using Remington model 600 rifles he modified them until he came up with his Scout Rifle Specs. He laid out what he had learned in his 1997 book "The Art Of The RIFLE" Short barrel, magazine fed, light weight, good balance, power, if scoped the scope moved forward, Ghost Ring sights etc. He looked for a manufacturer but only STEYR came forward. Jeff was really pleased with the Steyr Scout Rifle but they were few and far between with a big price tag. Jeff left us in 2006. I never even saw a Steyr and probably could not afford one anyway. Finally around 2014 Ruger and Savage came up with 308 Win. Scout Rifles. I looked over both models and decided on getting a RUGER Scout Rifle. I was very pleased with how it carried and shot. If I am ever down to one C F Rifle this will be the one.

Firearms Safety is No Accident. Jim

Topic Author
jimg11

Master (Level II)
Likes given: 45
Likes received: 12

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:19 am

Recently I have seen Ruger Scout Rifles in 350 Legend and 450 Bushmaster which probably would great in those states that specify straight wall cartridges for deer hunting. I do not think that I will run out and get another Scout Rifle as Col. Jeff said that you would only need one.
Firearms Safety is No Accident. Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic