Slugs in a bolt action shotgun

Forum for anything and everything shotguns.
Forum Information
You will earn 3 pts. per new topic and 1.5 pts. per new post (reply) in this forum.

Topic Author
bruceharvey

Gun: L96 AWP
Likes received: 1

Posting Badges

Post by bruceharvey » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:37 am

I’m wondering if it would be safe to shoot slugs in a Stevens 58 bolt action 12 gauge. I’m not overly concerned about the chokes, but I am wondering if the bolt with the one locking lug (from what I can see) can handle the recoil and pressure.

jimg11

Master (Level II)
Likes given: 45
Likes received: 12

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:38 pm

I at times worked with a MA Game Warden and in his career he had to investigate 2 hunting accidents where the shooters were killed by the bolt of their own bolt action shotguns. I do not know exactly what make shotgun it was but it was one of the Bolt Action Shotguns that was only the bolt handle blocked the bolt from flying back and entering the head of the shooter. In these 2 cases the bolt handle sheared off causing the messy death of the shooter . From that time if he ever saw a hunter with any bolt action shotgun. He would tell them to unload and take that P O S shotgun and never ever shoot it. Some Bolt Action Shotguns do have lugs to hold the bolt. In the 1980s Sears Roebuck decided that the bolt action shotguns that they had sold in the past were DANGEROUS and offered to buy back the bolts only of the 12 GA SEARS Bolt shotguns for $165.00 which was about 3 times what the whole gun was worth at a Used Gun Shop.
Firearms Safety is No Accident. Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic