Glock striker fired vs. DA/SA or DAO pistols

Forum for semi-auto handgun discussion.
Forum Information
You will earn 3 pts. per new topic and 1.5 pts. per new post (reply) in this forum.
User avatar

Topic Author
Cranky

Apprentice (Level III)
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:55 pm
Gun: .357 MAG
Likes given: 12
Likes received: 6
Status: Offline

Posting Badges

#1

Post by Cranky » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:31 am

I'm looking to buy a 9mm or .40 cal. , but I don't like the DAO's due to the long trigger pull for every round. I've never fired a Glock, but have been told that they don't feel like a DAO at all and behave more like a single-action with a light trigger weight. Can anyone (especially Glock owners) confirm this?
Thanks.



User avatar

45bananas

Journeyman (Level I)
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:28 am
Likes given: 8
Likes received: 6
Status: Offline

Posting Badges

#2

Post by 45bananas » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:19 pm

Cranky wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:31 am
I'm looking to buy a 9mm or .40 cal. , but I don't like the DAO's due to the long trigger pull for every round. I've never fired a Glock, but have been told that they don't feel like a DAO at all and behave more like a single-action with a light trigger weight. Can anyone (especially Glock owners) confirm this?
Thanks.
The Glock 26 Gen 4 (for example) is a nice weapon. It feels nothing like a DAO pistol. The trigger travel is relatively short compared to a DAO. Very nice shooter.

User avatar

S_I_G

NHGF Admin
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: Seabrook, NH
Gun: Sig Sauer M400
Referrals: 1
Likes given: 24
Likes received: 11
Contact:
Status: Offline

Posting Badges

#3

Post by S_I_G » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:35 pm

Here's a good take on striker fired vs. DA/SA
_ _S I G_ _

User avatar

Topic Author
Cranky

Apprentice (Level III)
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:55 pm
Gun: .357 MAG
Likes given: 12
Likes received: 6
Status: Offline

Posting Badges

#4

Post by Cranky » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:40 am

Settled on a Smith & Wesson SD9VE. Less expensive than Glock.
Image

User avatar

jimg11

Master (Level I)
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:51 pm
Likes given: 40
Likes received: 12
Status: Offline

Posting Badges

#5

Post by jimg11 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:16 pm

I like the traditional DA/SA Semi Auto Pistols. Maybe it is because of my experience with them. I started with a P38 of WW2 vintage that I bought when I was serving with the U S ARMY in 1961. I thought that the long harder trigger pull on the first shot was a safety consideration. In the 1970s I went to the S&W model 39 which I used for my Police Duty Weapon for several years. A change of Police Chiefs required me to carry a Double Action Revolver for about 12 years. We were then issued Town supplied SIG P228 DA/SA Semi Auto 9mm Pistols. Followed years latter by DA only Sig Pistols. I learned with the DA/SA pistols that much of my practice should be 2 shot groups fired DA/SA starting with hammer down from leather and a second SA shot. Drop hammer and do it again. training my finger with the different positions and weight of the trigger pulls.


Image
Firearms Safety is No Accident. Jim

User avatar

45bananas

Journeyman (Level I)
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:28 am
Likes given: 8
Likes received: 6
Status: Offline

Posting Badges

#6

Post by 45bananas » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:11 am

jimg11 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:16 pm
I like the traditional DA/SA Semi Auto Pistols. Maybe it is because of my experience with them. I started with a P38 of WW2 vintage that I bought when I was serving with the U S ARMY in 1961. I thought that the long harder trigger pull on the first shot was a safety consideration. In the 1970s I went to the S&W model 39 which I used for my Police Duty Weapon for several years. A change of Police Chiefs required me to carry a Double Action Revolver for about 12 years. We were then issued Town supplied SIG P228 DA/SA Semi Auto 9mm Pistols. Followed years latter by DA only Sig Pistols. I learned with the DA/SA pistols that much of my practice should be 2 shot groups fired DA/SA starting with hammer down from leather and a second SA shot. Drop hammer and do it again. training my finger with the different positions and weight of the trigger pulls.


Image
I like striker fire, but do prefer the feel and action of the DA/SA's. It took me a while to wrap my head around the polymer frames. It goes against the grain so to speak.

User avatar

Topic Author
Cranky

Apprentice (Level III)
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:55 pm
Gun: .357 MAG
Likes given: 12
Likes received: 6
Status: Offline

Posting Badges

#7

Post by Cranky » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:18 pm

I'm kind of old school as far as semi-autos go. Still trying to get used to the idea of a plastic gun. :violence-glob:

User avatar

jimg11

Master (Level I)
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:51 pm
Likes given: 40
Likes received: 12
Status: Offline

Posting Badges

#8

Post by jimg11 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:17 pm

n my police duty the double action only Sig P226 in 357 Sig was my last few years of Police Duty. While I did prefer DA/SA but the police thinking was a single type trigger pull would be safer so the 3 rd issued semi Auto pistol by the department was the modified P226. I had to turn it in when I retired but here is the picture.

Image
Firearms Safety is No Accident. Jim

User avatar

Topic Author
Cranky

Apprentice (Level III)
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:55 pm
Gun: .357 MAG
Likes given: 12
Likes received: 6
Status: Offline

Posting Badges

#9

Post by Cranky » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:32 am

jimg11 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:17 pm
n my police duty the double action only Sig P226 in 357 Sig was my last few years of Police Duty. While I did prefer DA/SA but the police thinking was a single type trigger pull would be safer so the 3 rd issued semi Auto pistol by the department was the modified P226. I had to turn it in when I retired but here is the picture.

Image
Oops! No pic there, @jimg11 .

User avatar

jimg11

Master (Level I)
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:51 pm
Likes given: 40
Likes received: 12
Status: Offline

Posting Badges

#10

Post by jimg11 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:27 am

Unfortunately FotoTime which I used for my pictures for over 15years has gone under taking my pictures with my pictures. Is there another picture holding and posting sight that works well? I am very open to suggestions.
Firearms Safety is No Accident. Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post