Collecting Ammunition

Anything related to ammunition, reloading and reloading supplies.
Forum Information
You will earn 3 pts. per new topic and 1.5 pts. per new post (reply) in this forum.

Topic Author
jimg11

Master (Level II)
Likes given: 45
Likes received: 12

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Sun May 10, 2020 12:39 am

Years ago I found that I would never be able to own all the rifles and pistols that I found interesting. I found that I could own 1 round of ammunition for an amount of money that is quite reasonable that will remind me of some interesting fire arm. I have ammunition rounds that is up to 150 years old and others that are quite new. Some are very easy to find but others can be hard to find. There are more 1500 different sizes of ammunition that has been made in the last 150 + years. I find that collecting ammunition is a very interesting hobby. I have rounds of ammunition that are made for rifles that would cost more than my house if I wanted buy one of those guns. But I can buy a single round for a few dollars. Are there any other Ammunition collectors on this Forum?

Firearms Safety is No Accident. Jim

556NATO

Journeyman (Level III)
Likes given: 15
Likes received: 9

Posting Badges

Post by 556NATO » Sun May 10, 2020 2:20 pm

That's actually a pretty cool idea and way less expensive. I never heard of anyone with a collection like that.
jimg11 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:39 am
There are more 1500 different sizes of ammunition that has been made in the last 150 + years.
And THAT is something I never knew. I might be able rattle off 30. :lol:

Topic Author
jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Sun May 10, 2020 6:57 pm

There is a long standing organization The International Ammunition Association (IAA) that has members from all over the world. There are some really serious collectors. Some specialize on a certain round, Others collect certain type rounds. A couple years ago I met with a man who was working on getting 1 round of every size and had over 600 rounds in his collection so far. After I left him he had a few more from my duplicates and I had a few of his duplicates. I have gotten Cartridges for free and have paid up to $25 for one that I really wanted.

Biglever

Master (Level II)
Likes given: 2
Likes received: 49

Posting Badges

Post by Biglever » Mon May 11, 2020 6:10 am

I have an old western auto supply 30/30 rifle, that I stumbled on to.
I guess I could tell the whole story, about 9 years ago, the wife and I were headed out into the woods on opening morning for deer season. It was 0 dark 30 hours
When I tripped over an exposed tree root, and crashed hard to the ground,slamming my rifle down. I was ok, but I knew the rifle was going to be out of wack.
I told my wife go on and get into your tree stand, I went back to the house, and grabbed another rifle to use.
After hunting season I was thinking about that tumble,and if it happened to my wife, she would be done, I didn't have another rifle she would be comfortable shooting. So that began my search for a backup deer rifle for my wife.
I was looking for a 30/30, and I noticed one in a gun shop, and picked it up, looked like any other marlin, but read on the barrel Western Auto Supply. Now my mind flashed back to my childhood, my parents did a lot of shopping at that store. My first 3 speed bike came from W.A.S. my first gun came from W.A.S. my dad built us a boat, and he bought a new outboard motor from western auto supply. Lots of great memories of that store.
So I ran to that counter and bought the rifle,
Got home and searched on line, for the year the rifle was made, 1955, that's the year my wife was born.
It was ment to be.
So I have been searching for a box of 30/30 sold at western auto supply stores, they called there ammo
Revolution, have found 22 ammo but no center fire ammo yet.

Topic Author
jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Mon May 11, 2020 9:52 am

I have tried to stay away from full boxes of ammo except for less popular calibers. But of course the ammo brand that goes with your gun is definitely something to be sought by any collector. I have not been to an ammo show since last September in Concord NH. I was going to one in March but Covid19 took care of that. Hopefully we can have the scheduled September Show.

Biglever

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by Biglever » Mon May 11, 2020 10:46 am

I missed our big show this past January, that is were a guy comes , that has a table. full of old ammo boxs
Haven't seen it on ebay either.

Topic Author
jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Mon May 11, 2020 2:40 pm

The New Hampshire Arms Collectors Association Cartridge and Reloading Tool Show September 12, 2020 Bektash Shriner' Hall 189 Pembroke Road, Concord, NH Saturday 9:00 am to 3:00pm Tables $40 Admission $5 Cartridges, Reloading Tools, and related items only. I hope that this show will be able to go on.
Information email Scott: scott@cfnparts.com

This was a very interesting show last Sept. and hopefully the first of many.

Biglever

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by Biglever » Mon May 11, 2020 2:47 pm

Thanks, I hope they can have it as well

Added in 14 minutes 8 seconds later:
20200511_145531.jpg
This is an old box of 45/70 ammo , don't have any of the
Rounds, just the box, though it looked kinda neet
20200511_145557.jpg
Added in 7 minutes 20 seconds later:
20200511_150355.jpg
Has the reloading info on the back

Topic Author
jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:55 am

That is a very neat 2 piece Winchester box. It might have a date somewhere on the lables.

I have this much later box partially filled of custom loaded 22/3000 2R rounds loaded by J. Bushnel Smith a big name in the late 1930s in the gun world. This round was a necked down 25/20 Single Shot case and then the 2R revision was blown out a bit for more powder capacity at the suggestion of Harvey Donaldson so it would reach 3000 fps with 22 cal bullets. This round became standard when the Gunsmithing firm of Griffin & Howe made Custom rifles for this round.

Biglever

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by Biglever » Tue May 12, 2020 2:51 pm

Nice

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic