what is your favorite non western military round?

Anything related to ammunition, reloading and reloading supplies.
Forum Information
You will earn 3 pts. per new topic and 1.5 pts. per new post (reply) in this forum.

Topic Author
ARMARIN

Journeyman (Level II)
Gun: Colt detective speci
Likes given: 3
Likes received: 12

Posting Badges

Post by ARMARIN » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:25 pm

what is your favorite non western military round?

Lets talk a little about AMMO: Some customers of ours shoot with all type of guns. Sometimes very old guns.

ARMARIN bought this week:
7.62x45mm. It was developed by Czechoslovakia for use in the Vz.52 Rifle. They dropped it after the Soviets forced them to adopt the 7.62x39mm. Their answer was the Vz.58 Rifle.... The Czechs have done nicely telling the Soviets to sit and spin on it throughout their history in the Warsaw Pact. If I had factory backup I'd design a modern rifle around this cartridge.

7.62x45mm

The Chinese are currently fielding the 5.8×42mm DBP87 in their new service rifle. Haven't seen much about it since the ChiComs haven't got into a shooting war and they're not exporting the caliber. ARMARIN was Lucky to find some big chests

Another one we bought is the Swedish 6.5x55mm. A nice flat shooting low recoil round. Chambered in Swedish Mausers and the Norwegian Krag. Also Sweden's AG-42 semi-auto.

Stock lot of the classic British .577/450 Martini-Henry from the Zulu War period is a fun one to play with too.

Simple Question here, (Just like to know) what is your favorite military round? Can be any type of ammunition from any era, but cannot be from Western Europe or the United States or Western Hemisphere.

(Autobiographical)
Have a cigar and rgds

ARMARIN

IF YOU SHOOT IN THE DARK USE A MACHINE GUN
Read ==>

jimg11

Master (Level II)
Likes given: 45

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Tue May 12, 2020 4:00 pm

When I joined the U S Army in 1959. The M-1 Rifle was still being even though the official rifle was the M-14. I had a close association with that M-1 during Basic. I was carrying it daily, Cleaning it daily and more. Shooting it on the range was ok but the I did not think that it was as accurate as it should be. I felt that the constant cleaning of these rifles was not helping it's accuracy. When I was stationed in West Germany we were issued the M-14 in 7.62x51mm or 308 Winchester. Upon taking it for Qualification I was very happy with the accuracy. Qualifying with the M-14 as Sharpshooter told me this was more accurate than the M-1 Garand I had in basic. The 308 Winchester / 7.62x51 mm was about the same power as the 30-06 because the shorter 7.62x51mm was loader to higher pressure. For a military non western round I put my faith in the 308 Winchester / 7.62x51mm.

Firearms Safety is No Accident. Jim

jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:19 am

I have had rifles in 6.5 x 50mm , 7 x 57 mm Mauser, 8 x 57 mm Mauser and 303 British and I liked the 8 x 57 best. I have done reloading with 3 of the 4. I feel that the best of the rounds is the 8mm Mauser or 7.9 x 57mm. I did not reload the 6.5 x 50 mm Jap but my brother had a Swedish Mauser and we reloaded a number of the 6.5 x 55 mm for that one. I really get a kick out of the modern manufacturers suddenly rediscovering the 6.5mm and suddenly the 6.5mm has several new rounds. Both the Japan military and Italian military started WW2 with the 6.5 but went to 30 cal.

jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:35 am

In my Hunter Education Courses I have been asked " what is the best rifle round?" My answer is what ever round that fits the best rifle for you. Pick a rifle that fits you and has whatever you like in a rifle. Size, weight, action, balance, looks, accessories, cost, or whatever and use the ammunition made for that rifle. Practice on the range until you are place your rounds where you need to and you cannot do better than that. I think that the rifle it self is more important than the ammo that it shoots. Of course you have to have right ammo for the rifle that you use. My favorite deer rifle is this Remington model 600 in 243 Winchester.

Biglever

Master (Level II)
Likes given: 2
Likes received: 49

Posting Badges

Post by Biglever » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:14 am

243 is a good cartridge,
Being a person who hunts in wooded locations, not open fields. I like shorter rifles ,quick to point, like the model 7 Remington mountain rifle I got my wife in 308.
Last year I was looking for another one ,or something like it, to use up in the Adirondacks. I ended up with a Ruger ,all American 7mm08 that's in a synthetic stock
And it's just about the same size as her model 7.
Will be hoping to get it's first deer this weekend.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic