What does peened markings mean?

All firearms discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here. Armed citizen reports, gun news, etc.
Forum Information
You will earn 3 pts. per new topic and 1.5 pts. per new post (reply) in this forum.

Topic Author
ARMARIN

Journeyman (Level II)
Gun: Colt detective speci
Likes given: 3
Likes received: 12

Posting Badges

Post by ARMARIN » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:42 am

What do peened markings mean?

When it says the markings have been peened it means that all the German Waffenambt proof markings have been obliterated with a punch and hammer. This usually means that whichever country owned the rifle after the war did it to remove the swastica's from them. You see this a lot on Russian captured K98's and on Israeli K98's as well, I've also seen one that was peened by the G.I. that brought it home for the same reason. If your looking for a shooter the Russian captures are a safe bet(usually) but they have been reworked/ refinished and few if any parts will match the receiver. If you're looking for an all matching collectible the prices start at around 800 and head north from there. If your dead set on an SS marked K98 learn as much as you can about them first as there are a lot of fakes out there. Whatever you do don't buy one from Mitchell's Mausers, he takes common Russian Captures, scrubs the markings and remarks them with rare markings and sells them as expensive "Collector Grade" rifles.

This rifle is a WWI produced K98 and taken over by the Gestapo. It has the Deaths Head with the SS designator just above it. All matching numbers.

under the serial number, which is "550". it is not Russian capture marked, and no markings are peened. Imported from Germany

Click image for larger version.

Here's an example of a non-RC K98k that has had all of the proof marks thoroughly obliterated with a chisel: THIS IS WITH PEENED MARKINGS

(From press release Dutch Army Museum)
Regards
ARMARIN

IF YOU SHOOT IN THE DARK USE A MACHINE GUN
Read ==>

45bananas

Journeyman (Level I)
Likes given: 8
Likes received: 6

Posting Badges

Post by 45bananas » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:12 pm

That's great info. I had no idea they peened off markings.

jimg11

Master (Level II)
Likes given: 45
Likes received: 12

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:38 am

One of the best known peened markings is the grinding off of the Mum on Japanese Arisaka 6.5 and 7.7 Rifles and Carbines. For many years looking at hundreds of these Arisaka rifles before I saw one that did not have the Mum at least partially ground. In later years I did see a number of them with the Mum intact and the price was a lot more than carbines and rifles with the ground mum. Of course the prices of all of them have gone through the sky since I bought year 44 6.5mm carbine with bayonet in 1964 for $10.00. I sold it for the same price about a year later.
Firearms Safety is No Accident. Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic