Your first gun shop

All firearms discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here. Armed citizen reports, gun news, etc.
Forum Information
You will earn 3 pts. per new topic and 1.5 pts. per new post (reply) in this forum.

Topic Author
Biglever

Master (Level II)
Likes given: 2
Likes received: 49

Posting Badges

Post by Biglever » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:30 am

I just parted with my krag, the rifling was warm, but if you shot cast bullets in it 200 or 220 grain it was bad.
It wouldn't put two out of 5 bullets in a 4×8 sheet of plywood with Remington 180 'at 20 yards.

Added in 6 minutes 54 seconds later:
You can send them back to the DCM. And have new barrels put on same as any Springfield M1 .M1A.

jimg11

Master (Level II)
Likes given: 45
Likes received: 12

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:27 pm

The other day I walked into a small Local Gun Shop that reminded me of the Gun shops of the past. It is a small shop that has been there in this strip mall for several decades. The present owner has been there about 15 years and I knew and did business with the previous owner for several years before he retired. When I walked in there were 2 customers sitting and talking with the owner about politics and the probable problems with the current administration. Along the wall there were a lot of long guns but nothing that I felt I could not live without. The glass pistol cases in front of the long guns held a number semi auto pistols but again nothing I could not live without. There were only 3 revolvers but 1 was a S&W pre model 10 2" with the wrong grips that was very interesting except for the $699 price tag was a bit high. There was a big box of used holsters but I did not see anything that was super interesting. I saw a box of 240 Weatherby Ammo that I would have liked but the owner thought it was more valuable than I did. While I was there there were a number of customers came in looking for 9mm or 40 S&W shooting ammo but he only had duty ammo. He sold several boxes of the 9mm H P and 40 S&W HP. One young man came asking for 32 Winchester Special ammo for an old Winchester 94 that he had bought else where and the owner came up with 2 boxes which he bought. Other than the crazy 2021 prices it was like an old time Gun Shop of days gone by.
Firearms Safety is No Accident. Jim

Topic Author
Biglever

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by Biglever » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:36 am

Not to many shops around like that anymore.
I think they price stuff out of reach, so they have something to display, otherwise it would be sold out.
And he can't get anything to restock

t44e6

Gun: AR-15A1
Likes received: 1

Posting Badges

Post by t44e6 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:00 am

B&B Guns in Woodbridge VA. Bought my first gun there, a Ruger MkII 6" which I still have. Also, Potomac Arms in Alexandria VA where I bought my first centerfire rifle, a Ruger Mini-14 which strung vertically as soon as it got hot. Sold it and never looked back! Many other is the Northern VA area where I grew up.

Dan

Apprentice (Level I)
Gun: Glock 19 Gen 5

Posting Badges

Post by Dan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:21 pm

My first purchase was Riley's in Hooksett, Kimber 1911. They slowly went downhill, especially after Shooter's Outpost arrived down the road.. RIP

Topic Author
Biglever

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by Biglever » Wed May 05, 2021 5:50 pm

Thanks for your post Dan. And t44e6

FunGun

Apprentice (Level II)
Likes given: 9
Likes received: 2

Posting Badges

Post by FunGun » Wed May 05, 2021 8:22 pm

Dan wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:21 pm
My first purchase was Riley's in Hooksett, Kimber 1911. They slowly went downhill, especially after Shooter's Outpost arrived down the road.. RIP
I went to Riley's once. Prices were outrageous. Never again. Shooter's Outpost is definitely a better shop.

jimg11

Master (Level II)
Likes given: 45
Likes received: 12

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Thu May 06, 2021 4:44 pm

I have gotten bargains at Riley's many times over the years and I am really sorry that they are gone. I cannot think why someone would think that because they could not find what they want at a price they want in ONE visit that they would not go back. Yes, Shooter's Outpost has more ammo than anywhere I have seen in the last year+. The sad thing is there are a number of Gun Shops with long histories of being open have closed because of the Covid 19.
Firearms Safety is No Accident. Jim

FunGun

Apprentice (Level II)
Likes given: 9
Likes received: 2

Posting Badges

Post by FunGun » Tue May 11, 2021 8:01 pm

jimg11 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:44 pm
I have gotten bargains at Riley's many times over the years and I am really sorry that they are gone. I cannot think why someone would think that because they could not find what they want at a price they want in ONE visit that they would not go back. Yes, Shooter's Outpost has more ammo than anywhere I have seen in the last year+. The sad thing is there are a number of Gun Shops with long histories of being open have closed because of the Covid 19.
It wasn't that there was a high price on something I wanted. It just seemed to me that prices were jacked up more than the normal markup. Maybe it was just me being a tightwad. :lol: To be honest, I didn't realize they were gone and that is sad. Businesses closing because of the government-forced shutdowns is sad and was unnecessary. All political maneuvers....but that belongs in another forum. ;)

Dan

Apprentice (Level I)
Gun: Glock 19 Gen 5

Posting Badges

Post by Dan » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:48 pm

FunGun wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:01 pm
jimg11 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:44 pm
It wasn't that there was a high price on something I wanted. It just seemed to me that prices were jacked up more than the normal markup. Maybe it was just me being a tightwad. :lol: To be honest, I didn't realize they were gone and that is sad. Businesses closing because of the government-forced shutdowns is sad and was unnecessary. All political maneuvers....but that belongs in another forum. ;)
I agree, however, let's not forget that they closed before COVID had any affect
(Nov 2019) and the business started going downhill after the owner sold it to his son. I realized it starting to seemed to start going downhill when I bought my Sig from them in 2014

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic