Your first gun shop

All firearms discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here. Armed citizen reports, gun news, etc.
Forum Information
You will earn 3 pts. per new topic and 1.5 pts. per new post (reply) in this forum.

ThatGuysGotAGun

Post by ThatGuysGotAGun » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:48 am

Newb here, my 1st firearms purchase was a Hi-Point JHP .45 out of Wildlife Taxidermy & Sports in Manchester, check it out if you've never been there. The guy behind the counter was beside himself when he had to leave a message with the background check people and they still called back and gave him the go ahead in about an hour, according to him, an employee of several years with an obviously clean record "has to wait 3 days every time". Anyways it's an awesome place with awesome people and stuff.

45bananas

Journeyman (Level I)
Likes given: 8
Likes received: 6

Posting Badges

Post by 45bananas » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:20 am

Welcome! Hi-Point is not a bad gun for the money. My buddy has a Hi-Point 9mm. Slim single-stack design and easily concealable.

jimg11

Master (Level II)
Likes given: 45
Likes received: 12

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:54 pm

I worked part time for 25 years in a Local Gun Shop in Southern NH. Needles to say I did not bring much money home but I sure brought a lot of nice stuff home.
Firearms Safety is No Accident. Jim

Topic Author
Biglever

Master (Level II)
Likes given: 2
Likes received: 49

Posting Badges

Post by Biglever » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:44 am

I would be still paying off my debt, if that was me.

jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:40 am

I guess everything is relative because while I cannot get my head around the prices today but I can remember making less than $1.00 an hour when I started out working so a new Ruger Standard 22 semi auto pistol cost a lot at $37.50 and $40 for a WW2 1911A1 Colt was not a cheap amount. I remember the owner of Narrows Gun Shop telling his employee that while I might only have $3.00 to spend when I came in, I came in very often and spent that $3 so he depended on that $3.00 thus I was an important customer. Of course wages went up so did the prices that everything cost. I have made as much as $40 an hour but of course in retirement that also is old history. I see some people spend thousands for guns.

Topic Author
Biglever

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by Biglever » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:43 am

So true

jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:54 am

Thinking of this First Gun Shop thread. Do I still have any of the guns I bought there? The first gun I bought there was my Remington 870 12 Ga. with a 20" rifle sighted barrel and 28" mod and then later I bought my Model 600 Remington in 243 Winchester. Of course there were others that have long gone.

Topic Author
Biglever

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by Biglever » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:27 am

Nice, my first guns are long gone

Topic Author
Biglever

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by Biglever » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:52 am

Not only gun prices are crazy, prices for parts original gun stocks for old military rifles, and hardware.
So many guys have sporterized them, and threw the original parts away. I was very lucky to find a uncut stock for my last Enfield.

jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:16 am

Biglever wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:52 am
Not only gun prices are crazy, prices for parts original gun stocks for old military rifles, and hardware.
So many guys have sporterized them, and threw the original parts away. I was very lucky to find a uncut stock for my last Enfield.
You have that right. Around 1975 I bought a U. S. Gov. 1899 30/40 Krag Carbine that had a huge aftermarket stock that was made for target shooting off hand. I loaded for it and shot it some but the inside of the barrel looked like a muddy road from shooting Corrosive primed ammo. It was not at all accurate. It was a great wall hanger if I could find an original shock and hardware. I tried to find an original stock and hardware and was told that with some effort I probably could find one but expect to pay at least 4 times what I had in the gun. I really liked the Krag and the way it loaded. The complaint that it was slow to load during the Spanish American War was because they were loading from a cartridge belt that was only possible to take 1 or 2 rounds out at a time. I could pull 5 rounds out of my pocket and throw them into the magazine very fast. All I had to be sure of was that all the bullets were pointing the same way. Of course a lot of the troops in that war were still using the trap door single shot 45/70 1873 Springfield Rifles. I grew up using my buddy's original 45/70 Springfield Rifle as a cap gun. His father had gotten it for him for the great sum of $3.00

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic