It is time for my annual walks in the woods!

All firearms discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here. Armed citizen reports, gun news, etc.
Forum Information
You will earn 3 pts. per new topic and 1.5 pts. per new post (reply) in this forum.

Topic Author
jimg11

Master (Level II)
Likes given: 45
Likes received: 12

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:33 pm

Deer Hunting Muzzle Loader Season starts today. Hunting now for me is taking a walk in the woods with a favorite gun. Loaded just incase I find a deer that is unlucky enough to cross my path when I have a clear shot. This does not happen too often. But who would have thought that we would have snow on the ground on October 31. But This is a BLUE MOON so anything might happen. I did not see any deer this morning but there are still 9 more days of muzzle loader hunting and then I can use my shotgun or rifle from Nov. 11 until Dec. 6 depending on where I take my walks. I have not shown my Muzzle Loader on this forum. It is a Thompson Center 50cal. Impact with a Thompson Center 1.5 - 5 power scope

Firearms Safety is No Accident. Jim

Topic Author
jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:58 pm

In case you do not think that the above is not a Real muzzleloader I will show you a picture of my retired outfit. It is a 45 cal. Numrich Arms Hopkins & Allen Under Hammer Muzzleloader. I only used real black powder and cast maxiballs but when I shot it I had to take off the stock and take it into the shower with me to get it clean.

Topic Author
jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:01 pm

I did not see anything with the Muzzle loader so now I have until Dec. 6 to find one with my shotgun around here or I could head North an try it with a rifle. Below is my Remington 12 Gauge and the 2nd barrel is a Hastings Rifled Barrel with a Burris scope which is very accurate with Winchester BRI Slugs. The Rifle is a Remington 600 in .243 and both have been mine for over 50 years.

Biglever

Master (Level II)
Likes given: 2
Likes received: 49

Posting Badges

Post by Biglever » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:32 am

Well good luck, with whatever you decide.
I know iam glade I keep range notes ,for my rifles, my wife decided she is going to take my 7mm08. That is the rifle I was going to use opening day. And have shot recently. So now I haven't shot any other deer rifle except her rifle. Iam not taking hers. So I am going with
My 270. Which I haven't shot since 2018. Well I don't have any idea what ammo I last sighted it in with.
Pulled out my range book, and there was my ancer , date ammo . So now iam ready.
I shoot a lot, but there old Military rifles on a bench.
Not my deer rifles. Glade I keep notes.

Topic Author
jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:24 pm

I hope you have good luck. I haven't seen anything so far but I have a week still to go but there seems to be a lot of rain about every other day. Today it was pouring so I did even bother go out.

Biglever

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by Biglever » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:38 pm

Yup poured here to, but I had to work today and work
Tomorrow. Then iam off.

Topic Author
jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:29 pm

My season was over Sunday 12/6 and I did not see any deer the 4 times I was out in the woods. I must be getting old as I did not go out on rainy days or real cold days. There is always next year! Hope you have some luck Biglever.

Biglever

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by Biglever » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:53 pm

20201125_131408.jpg
Was a tuff season, we still have a week of rifle, then a few days of black powder. Iam done this season, my wife got a buck during bow season, and I filled my doe permit ,second day, we don't need more than two deer, .so iam back out in my woods clearing out trees and brush ,to put in a clover patch by my swamp,
Iam at the point were I don't care if I get a deer or not, I enjoy just being out in the woods and outdoors. When I went up north for our northern zone gun season, I went up 3 days early, just to camp out and enjoy the peace and quiet of the big woods.
20201125_131408.jpg
Attachments
20201104_075709.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic