Sometimes you might want to go smaller.

All firearms discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here. Armed citizen reports, gun news, etc.
Forum Information
You will earn 3 pts. per new topic and 1.5 pts. per new post (reply) in this forum.

Topic Author
jimg11

Master (Level II)
Likes given: 45
Likes received: 12

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:08 pm

In the past several years some of my shooting friends have told me that they are getting great accuracy and fun with the .17 Rimfires. Believe it or not there have been 4 separate 17 Rimfire cartridges developed since 2002. The first was the .17 HMR which is the 22 WMR case necked down to .17. A couple of my friends thought that this round was great. Then in 2003 the Mexican company AGUILA necked down the 22 LR case to .17 but not many rifles were made with this round .
In 2004 Hornady and CCI developed the .17 Mach 2 using the 22 LR longer Stinger case. In 2013 Winchester announced the .17 Winchester Super Magnum using their 27 nail gun blank case. Another of my shooting buddies has a 17 Winchester Super Magnum and shoots dimes at 100 yds with it. About 4 years ago I walked into my favorite local gun shop and saw a MARLIN bolt action rifle that had a very nice scope and thought it was a very clean .22 LR target setup, but it was a .17 Mach 2. They made me a price that I could not refuse. I have not shot it a whole lot but it is very accurate and I am sure that it would do the job on squirrels with longer ranges. I am sure that if I were to get a shot at a woodchuck it would be very effective.

Firearms Safety is No Accident. Jim