black powder revolvers

All firearms discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here. Armed citizen reports, gun news, etc.
Forum Information
You will earn 3 pts. per new topic and 1.5 pts. per new post (reply) in this forum.

Topic Author
USMC69

Apprentice (Level III)
Likes given: 4
Likes received: 2

Posting Badges

Post by USMC69 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:43 pm

Just wondering if anyone has any experience, good or bad, with black powder revolvers. I'm interested starting with BP.
Something like this at Cabelas is what I'm looking at.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/shootin ... s?slotId=0

ARMARIN

Journeyman (Level II)
Gun: Colt detective speci
Likes given: 3
Likes received: 12

Posting Badges

Post by ARMARIN » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:14 pm

Need for a lot of cleaning
Black powder guns require more care than modern firearms. A Glock can shoot hundreds, if not thousands of rounds with only a light cleaning and maybe a bit of oil. Any black powder gun...not so much. You can go hundreds of rounds between cleanings with some pistols without issue. Do this with a black powder gun and your gun will turn to rust before your eyes. A complete and thorough cleaning is required after every shooting session to keep the gun in good shape. You need to disassemble the gun as much as possible for cleaning. For black powder revolvers, you'll need to take the cylinder out of the frame and the barrel, if possible (Colt percussion revolvers can be thusly disassembled) and clean every single spot possible as much as possible. Some people actually clean black powder revolver in their bathtubs. For pistols, dunk their black powder pistol in a bucket of water with a bit of soap..

Regards
ARMARIN
IF YOU SHOOT IN THE DARK USE A MACHINE GUN
Read ==>

45bananas

Journeyman (Level I)
Likes given: 8
Likes received: 6

Posting Badges

Post by 45bananas » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:06 pm

Yeah black powder is dirty shooting. Never heard of soaking in a bathtub though. In water???

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic