Holster time

All firearms discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here. Armed citizen reports, gun news, etc.
Forum Information
You will earn 3 pts. per new topic and 1.5 pts. per new post (reply) in this forum.

Topic Author
JamesCC

Journeyman (Level III)
Likes given: 3
Likes received: 7

Posting Badges

Post by JamesCC » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:57 am

I just nabbed the ShapeShift holster from alien gear and I have to say I like it a lot. It has two key parts made from a hard polymer. One side contains the adjustable retention unit, and you secure the trigger guard of the system to this unit. I really like the comfort, retention adjustment, grip access, and concealment. I did not have to change the cant or ride height, so those were non-issues. I did have a minor potential issue with the size of the base but still solid. Draw is a bit slower from an outside the waistband holster, where I did not have to pull up my shirt to access the gun. My M&P stayed put, yet was fast to draw on the range. Solid find I would suggest taking a look if your needing a holster. Any holsters you prefer or have tried? Curious how it stacks up!

jimg11

Master (Level II)
Likes given: 45
Likes received: 12

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:52 pm

I am a holster guy and will admit to having a lot more holsters than anyone in his right mind ought to own. I like nice real leather holsters but did at one time spend a lot of time wearing one of the modern plastic holsters on my police uniform. I like the holsters that were made years ago. George Lawrence, Bianchi, S. D. Myres, H. H. Heiser, and such names bring a smile to my face when I see them marked on the back of a Holster. Here are 3 Lawrence Challenger holsters that I got a few months ago.

Firearms Safety is No Accident. Jim

jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:19 pm

For every day carry I like this BIANCHI Model 9R1 Shoulder Holster with a 3" J frame S&W.

For open carry a beautiful Holster like this Bedell Rogers floral carved holster is hard to beat.

This Smith & Wesson model 22W size 34 Holster is great for this modified S&W Model 67 38 Special Revolver

This Eubanks Leather Basket weave and laced holster for a 6" M&P Smith & Wesson Revolver.

Added in 43 minutes 37 seconds later:
This Geo. Lawrence Model 120 Holster was advertised as being designed by Elmer Keith.

The Berns-Martin Holster design was a very fast holster to draw from and was used by such men as Charles Askins, Elmer Keith, And Ed McGivern.

jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:39 am

This EL PASO SADDLERY CO. holster I had made for me in 2015 was definitely the most expensive holster I own but it does look good on my model 57 41 Magnum.

While the Smith & Wesson Leather Co. may not seam the best holster company they did make some really nice holsters like this model 11 carved holster for a model 39 S&W 9mm pistol.

An IWB holster for a S&W Semi Auto 4006 is some how nicer if the maker is George Lawrence as this #22 holster.

The first IWB holster I used was the soft rough side out BIANCHI Model 6 shown here with a 3" pre model 36 S&W.

jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:17 am

This H. H. Heiser Holster works well with 3" S&W Model 13-2. After decades of training my finger is NOT on the trigger when drawing.

Many trainers would feel better if a novice shooter would at least start with a holster with the trigger covered as on this DeSantis Holster.

This Bianchi 100A holster was my police duty holster for a couple years until a new Chief decreed Revolvers ONLY. I was using a S&W 39-2. This Ruger SR1911 is a great fit.

While I take my walks in the woods during deer season I am usually wearing this Lawrence rig with my S&W Classic Hunter Model 29-3 6" with only 5 rounds in the cylinder per N H hunting rules.

Last edited by jimg11 on Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:46 am

Back in the middle 1960s I was into the 1911A1 45 Auto and was carrying it in a Soft Leather Bianchi Model 6 IWB. After a day of carry I pulled it out and put it on my bed. I was shocked to see my cocked and locked 1911A1 was unlocked. My movement during the day had unlocked my 1911A1 I threw that holster away, If I carry my new SR1911 I WB I will use a solid leather holster like this Galco.

While I really like my SR1911 Ruger The sights are better and higher and the extended Grip Safety Will not let it fit in this beautiful old H H Heiser holster which was made for the 1911A1 Government .45 acp.

Even the modern BIANCHI M66 holster which was designed to replace the military holsters for the 1911a1. note that the sights on the Ruger SR1911 push the pistol in the holster so that the hole to protect the magazine release does not function and the flap is held way up by the grip safety extension.

Added in 25 minutes 26 seconds later:
This Mixson Leathercraft Holster works well with either the SR 1911 or an original 1911A1. As does the TRIPLE K shown below.

jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:23 pm

I like leather holsters and found this New Old Stock SAFARILAND Model 28 Low Silhouette holster from 1996 on an auction site which I won with a bid of 1/4 the original retail price ($49) Of course I had the auction fee, the fee for packaging, shipping cost so I have it for less than 1/2 the Retail price. It fits my 3913 S&W perfectly.

jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:07 pm

Not all Holster makers are big company Manufacturers. I met a man (Richard Rice) who in his retirement decided that he would like to make holsters. He liked leather holsters and figured that he could do a good job and he did by the time I met him. I bought 2 that he had made for others that I believe are well made and fine fitting.

jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:38 am

This S. D. Myres floral carved holster is probably older than I am. note that the safety strap has been changed to a Heiser one.

This Carved H. H. Heiser holster works well for the S&W Model 41 22 target pistol.

jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:31 pm

Seeing this is the NEW HAMPSHIRE GUN FORUM. One of our N H Gun Trainers and Experts is of course is Massad F. Ayoob famous for his writings and his training with his LETHAL FORCE INSTITUTE. He also designed some IWB HOLSTERS that he had TED BLOCKER'S CUSTOM HOLSTERS build for the L F I. They were well designed and used a tab of VELCRO hook on the Holster and a belt with VELCRO pile on the inside that allowed precise positioning the holster inside the waist band.
I bought three of these holsters from Massad personally in the early 1990s. Unfortunately I sold or turned in all 3 of the pistols that I bought these 3 holsters for. They were a Walther PPK, my duty SIG SAUER P228, and my Smith & Wesson 645.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic