CZ BREN 2, The Next Big Thing? Video Review

Feed from AmmoLand
Forum Information
You will earn 1.5 pts. per new post (reply) in this forum.

**Registered members may reply to any topic in this forum**

Topic Author
NHGF [Feed]

FeedBot

Posting Badges

Post by NHGF [Feed] » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:19 pm

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vb1BjtwKQB0
U.S.A.-(Ammoland.com)- I was always a huge fan of the original 805 BREN and felt like it was a very well thought out and solid rifle. That is why I was a little surprised when CZ announced the BREN 2. I really didn’t think that there was too much to improve on. Well, I couldn’t have been more wrong. When you first pick up the CZ BREN2, one of the most notable and welcomed changes is that CZ put the Bren on a massive diet.  They managed to trim almost 2 pounds off the original Bren. The Bren2 weighs in at a mere 5.6 pounds. Which is insanely light for any AR-type gun, but practically unheard of for a piston-driven platform. The lighter weight is a welcomed improvement and immediately noticeable as soon as you pick up the gun. The weight, or lack thereof, also just makes the ergonomics and handling of the gun that much better. CZ achieved this by trimming down the aluminum upper receiver and going with a carbon fiber reinforced polymer lower. I will also say that the BREN2 has a slimmer barrel profile than the original. ImageCZ BREN 2All of the ergonomics have been greatly improved over the original BREN 805 as well. One of the biggest advancements is that the charging handle no longer reciprocates while firing. I used to say that reciprocating charging handles didn’t bother me, but I also used to not carry a GPS, a calendar, a calculator, a camera, a personal computer, my entire music collection, and oh yeah, a phone, around in my pocket. The new way is better, much better, it’s 2020, time to get rid of the reciprocating charging handles on all current designs.  The charging handle can be swapped to either side of the gun for your liking, and the magazine release and safety can be accessed from either side of the gun. The bolt release design is extremely well thought out too. It’s basically a button that can be pushed down to release the bolt inside the front of the trigger guard, making it ambidextrous as well. The bolt release inside the trigger guard can also be pushed up to work as a bolt hold open. If you’re not a fan of the bolt release inside the trigger guard, there is also one in the same spot you would find one on a traditional AR-15 ImageA closer look at the controls for the BREN2. You can see the bolt release inside the trigger guard, as well as the left handed mag release.The BREN2 that we got for review is technically a pistol with an eleven-inch barrel. Another nice touch with the newer BREN, is that it comes ready to accept a buffer tube to attach your favorite brace. This is a big deal because with the original 805 BREN, you had to buy a rather expensive adapter plate to attach a buffer tube. Very nice that CZ is thinking of their customers in this way and saving them some serious cash. The grip also feels amazing; it’s nice and thin, and has a really good texture on it. The rear portion looks like it will be customizable with different inserts in the future. All of the controls are very well thought out, exactly where you’d want them, and this gun just feels great. It truly all comes together and feels more like an extension of the shooter, rather than a cumbersome tool.  ImageCZ BREN 2I mentioned earlier that the BREN2 has a very thin barrel profile, and I was initially concerned about this for a few reasons, one being accuracy. At 100 yards it was solid, but nothing to write home about.  We were getting about an inch and a half groups; sometimes a little better, sometimes a little worse. Now keep in mind, that is well within what is considered acceptable accuracy for a military rifle. I decided to see how far out we could effectively get hits on man-size targets. While at 100 our results weren’t spectacular, we managed to effectively get hits at 500 yards, and even as far out as 700 yards, even with the 11-inch barrel on the Bren2. So while target accuracy may not be great at 100, it has more than enough practical accuracy to get effective hits on targets farther out than you’ll probably realistically ever shoot a rifle like this.  ImageCZ BREN 2I really feel that CZ has a huge winner on their hands with the Bren2. The gun just feels so good to shoot, and has great ergonomics, while being extremely light.  While it is a very light gun, it is more than capable of getting the job done in the accuracy department. This is just an all-around awesome gun, and if you’re in the market for something like this, I would highly recommend the CZ BREN2. About Alabama ArsenalImage We conduct in-depth, unbiased reviews on firearms and accessories. We are made up of all different backgrounds to give you the best range of opinions, including military experience and gunsmith work. Be sure to check out our Facebook and Instagram. Unlike many channels out there, we make it a priority to respond to your comments. We enjoy engaging with our followers, and will gladly answer any reasonable questions you may have.