Kershaw Camshaft Folder EDC – Knife Review

Feed from AmmoLand
Forum Information
You will earn 1.5 pts. per new post (reply) in this forum.

**Registered members may reply to any topic in this forum**

Topic Author
NHGF [Feed]

FeedBot

Posting Badges

Post by NHGF [Feed] » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:35 pm

ImageI used the same props in this picture of the Kershaw Camshaft Folder EDC as I did in the Kershaw Airlock photo so you could compare pictures and see the similarities in the two knives (my buddy at Talon Grips will give me grief for taking a picture with some super old grips!).U.S.A.-(Ammoland.com)- The other day I wrote a Product Review on the Kershaw Airlock folder. Today I’m writing one on the Kershaw Camshaft folder. At first blush, you may think that they are almost identical but upon closer examination, you’ll see a lot of subtle differences. Probably the first similarity that will make you think that they are more similar than they actually are is the handle. Other than the slots in the Kershaw Airlock, they are both black and very similar. After that, there are quite a few differences between the two knives. Kershaw Camshaft Folder EDC Knife First, the handle on the Kershaw Camshaft is a little wider. While it does have a reversible clip, it doesn’t have a lanyard hole. But it does have a slot in the spine at the back of the handle that is almost big enough to slip in a lanyard. ImageI found the Kershaw Airlock knife functional and comfortable to carry.The blade is classified as a clip point but actually I’d call it a drop point but due to the spine being ground down from a point about 2-inches up the spine to the tip, it does form a definite point. The spine on the Kershaw Airlock is ground down from about 1-inch back up the spine to form a point. As on the Airlock, I feel like that I have a firm grip on the Kershaw Camshaft due to the thumb grooves on the back of the spine and the flipper. It also has a finger groove cut for your pointer finger which further stabilizes the knife in your grip. The pocket clip is a little wider on the Kershaw Camshaft and is a little easier or maybe I should say handier to use. While the Kershaw Camshaft definitely feels heavier than the Kershaw Airlock they are actually 3.1 oz. and 2.9 oz. respectively. So that is a minuscule difference. The Kershaw Camshaft is an assisted opening knife and I found it super easy to flip open and have ready for business. After carrying both, I think that I slightly favor the Kershaw Camshaft due to the blade design. It more resembles a clip point which I favor in my EDC’s. Although both knives are advertised as having 3.0-inch blades my Camshaft is about .2 inches longer. Not that that matters one way or the other. So, if you’re in the market for an EDC folder, the Kershaw Camshaft is a viable option. The MSRP on the Kershaw Camshaft is $34.99 and as is usual, we will close with the specs:
  • Overall Length: 7.25″
  • Blade Length: 3.00″
  • Cutting Edge: 3.375″
  • Blade Width: 1.00″
  • Blade Thickness: 0.11″
  • Blade Material: 4Cr14
  • Blade Style: Clip Point
  • Blade Grind: Hollow
  • Finish: Stonewash
  • Edge Type: Plain
  • Handle Length: 4.25″
  • Handle Width:1.00″
  • Handle Material: FRN
  • Color: Black
  • Frame/Liner: Stainless Steel
  • Weight: 3.1 oz.
  • User: Right Hand, Left Hand
  • Pocket Clip :Tip-Up
  • Knife Type: Assisted
  • Opener: Flipper
  • Lock Type: Liner Lock
  • Brand: Kershaw
  • Model: Camshaft
  • Model Number: 1370
  • Country of Origin: China
  • Best Use: Everyday Carry
  • Product Type: Knife
ImageAbout Tom Claycomb Tom Claycomb has been an avid hunter/fisherman throughout his life as well as an outdoor writer with outdoor columns in the magazine Hunt Alaska, Bass Pro Shops, Bowhunter.net and freelances for numerous magazines and newspapers. “To properly skin your animal, you will need a sharp knife. I have an e-article on Amazon Kindle titled Knife Sharpening #ad for $.99 if you're having trouble.”