Leather Carving: How Its Made? with Andrews Custom Leather – Video

Feed from AmmoLand
Forum Information
You will earn 1.5 pts. per new post (reply) in this forum.

**Registered members may reply to any topic in this forum**

Topic Author
NHGF [Feed]

FeedBot

Posting Badges

Post by NHGF [Feed] » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/embed/J3cJxzhLPpQ
U.S.A.-(Ammoland.com)- People don’t make things by hand that much anymore! Not in the times of Amazon Prime Next Day Delivery, 3D Printers, and CNC machines. Nope, these days Made by Hand Craftsmanship of any sort is a quickly dying skill. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy hoarding cheap soulless stuff just as much as the next gun-toting guy (or squirrel) At the same time nothing beats a beautiful warm leathery piece of gear endowed with soul by the weather-beaten and calloused hands of a real dyed in the wool Artiste. I’m sure all the Super Tactical Ninja Boogaloo Boys are crying out right now “no all you need for the end of the world is kydex man”. Sometimes I would be inclined to agree with the rabble, only sometimes though. After all I do usually rock a Harrys Holsters Executive 1 Clip for my Glock 43. However at the risk of sounding like a commercial for your local supermarket: in these “Trying Times” (my least favorite words since we got into this lockdown). In These Trying Times: we really do need a little ray of Sunshine and Hope to remind us its not really the End of the World! You know like for when you want to feel more like Dirty Harry than John Wick! ImageDominic Whitaker of Andrews Custom LeatherSo that long intro brings me to why I make these How Its Made Videos with Sam Andrews of Andrews Custom Leather. Sam has been a custom leather holster maker for the better part of forty years, before that he was in law enforcement, and before that he was probably an Old British Major General in another life with that basso profundo voice of his. (Yes for he’s the guy that does the intros to my videos) We’ve done quite a few of these videos covering all the multitude of options of exotic leathers, styles of holsters, and shoulder rigs. We’ve even covered the fact that he makes holsters and rigs for major motion pictures like the recent Magnificent Seven remake. ImageLeather Carving: How Its Made?ImageLeather Carving: How Its Made?ImageLeather Carving: How Its Made?One thing we didn’t cover fully in that particular video is how does Sam make these beautifully carved holsters from the olden days? You know when men were men and sleeping with the wrong showgirl in a saloon got you a nice venereal disease! (Okay don’t get distracted) He did however mention the carving was done by his protege Dom, so this time around we decided to feature the Sheridan Style Leather Carving Craftsmanship of Dominic Whitaker. Dom as the Andrews Custom Crew refer to him affectionately, started his journey as a hobbyist eight years ago in North Carolina, is a graduate of Florida’s Flagler College with a bachelors in Fine Art and Design, and has been working with Sam as his protege for the last three and half years. ImageLeather Carving: How Its Made? with Dominic Whitaker of Andrews Custom LeatherIn this video, we cover everything from the tools you need, what type of leather, how you transfer your pattern onto the leather, and the actual carving and stamping process. Without a doubt this is a long video especially for those with only a minute and a half attention span, however considering Dom estimates the process of carving a design onto a leather holster starts and somewhere around seven hours and can go up to several days, we hope you’ll appreciate us condensing it down to just forty-five minutes for you…You’re welcome! About Hank StrangeImage Hank Strange is an Enthusiastic Supporter of The Second Amendment, An Avid Filmmaker, Writer, Blogger, Music Producer and Digital Artist: Hank is a Prolific YouTube Content Creator having Published over 1000 Videos to date relating to Lifestyle in the realms of Firearms, Cars and Technology. A Proud American Citizen Since 2003 Hank was born of Mixed Race Parentage (his Father having African Ancestry and his Mother being of East Indian Ancestry amongst others) in Guyana, South America. He has traveled to a few places in the world with his Family living in London, England, and Nigeria in West Africa before settling in NYC. Hank & His Wife Lola are both Federal Firearms Licensees and currently live and work in Florida. Passionately Pursuing The Lifestyles Of The Locked And Loaded! Tune in to the daily Gun Culture News “Podshow” Who Moved my Freedom Podcast (WMMF) on the LIfestyles of the Locked and Loaded youtube channel. Hank's work can also be seen on https://gunstreamer.com/@HankStrange, Facebook facebook.com/HankStrange, Instagram instagram.com/hankstrange, his Personal Blog hankstrange.com and other Social Media.