SC deputy was shot & killed while serving eviction notice

American Police Beat Magazine feed
Forum Information
You will earn 1.5 pts. per new post (reply) in this forum.

**Registered members may reply to any topic in this forum**

Topic Author
NHGF [Feed]

FeedBot

Posting Badges

Post by NHGF [Feed] » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:50 am

ImageSUMTER, SC (FOX Carolina) – A South Carolina sheriff’s deputy was shot and killed Tuesday, according to a news report from WACH. The Sumter County Sheriff’s Office said Cpl. Andrew Gillette, 37, was fatally wounded while deputies were serving a detention order and eviction notice at an address along Thomas Sumter Highway. A suspect inside fired multiple shots. Gillette was shot in the chest. The suspect was also shot and killed when deputies returned fire. The sheriff’s office released this statement about Gillette: “Cpl. Gillette, 37 years old, served honorably as a Sumter County Sheriff’s Deputy since October 2013. Our deepest condolences and our prayers are with his family. We ask that you all keep Cpl. Gillette’s family and our entire Sumter County Sheriff’s Office family in your prayers.” Sumter County sheriff Anthony Dennis later provided more information about what happened, along with details for Gillette’s visitation and funeral. “Sumter County Sheriff’s Office, along with SLED, are continuing to review the details of what happened yesterday. Based on my preliminary review of the events, it is clear that our deputies acted appropriately and professionally and I am confident the full investigation will confirm that,” Dennis said. “Cpl. Andrew Gillette and the other deputies were doing their daily duties and carrying out an order of the court. I am satisfied and proud with the manner in which they conducted themselves in carrying out those duties before, during and after the tragic event that unfolded. Our deputies have my full confidence and support.” “Andrew was more than a badge and a car. He was a husband, father, son, brother and friend. He can never be replaced and no combination of words can truly express the pain that is felt.  I, along with everyone at the Sheriff’s Office, appreciate the outpouring of support from our community, other law enforcement agencies and people from all over the country. We will never get over the loss of Andrew but we can make it through this pain together,” Dennis continued. Gillette’s funeral is scheduled for Sunday, March 1, at the Sumter County Civic Center in Sumter. Visitation will begin at 2 p.m., and the service will begin at 3 p.m. Read the full story The post SC deputy was shot & killed while serving eviction notice appeared first on American Police Beat Magazine.