Half of troopers at a Michigan State Police outpost are women

American Police Beat Magazine feed
Forum Information
You will earn 1.5 pts. per new post (reply) in this forum.

**Registered members may reply to any topic in this forum**

Topic Author
NHGF [Feed]

FeedBot

Posting Badges

Post by NHGF [Feed] » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:34 pm

ImageMichigan State Police More women are joining law enforcement than ever before, as shown by Michigan State Police’s Manistique Outpost, where nearly half of the troopers on staff are women. Michigan’s TV 6 local news took a trip to the station to interview the female officers there. For some of the officers, other women inspired them to join the force. Juliana Arnold told reporters that she was motivated to pursue a career in law enforcement by a female colonel she had in training. “When I was applying, we had a female colonel,” Arnold said. “That’s one of the reasons I joined because I see potentially, one day, me being in a spot like that.” Arnold also spoke to the unpredictability of the job. “You never know what you’re going to get,” she said. “You can get a B&E. You can get a domestic.” For mother of two Mindy Zastrow, she never takes her job or her family for granted knowing the dangers of the job. “I would say my kids obviously worry about me more than other kids might worry about their parents. But I get a ton of support at home,” Zastrow said. The female officers said that they still are frequently mistaken as men at traffic stops. Arnold said, “I’d like to see at some point people not be surprised to see a female officer.” Trooper Chloe Farnham said that at the end of the day, both male and female officers are treated with equal respect. “We’re all here working for the same team, same goal, trying to do the same thing here,” Farnham said. Arnold’s best advice was to avoid worrying and keep the right mentality. “I think the worst thing you can do is worry because that doesn’t help,” Arnold said. “All you can do is try to prepare and be as positive as you possibly can and see what the day brings.” The post Half of troopers at a Michigan State Police outpost are women appeared first on American Police Beat Magazine.