NYPD officer who saved girl in Times Square shooting raises $3K for family

American Police Beat Magazine feed
Forum Information
You will earn 1.5 pts. per new post (reply) in this forum.

**Registered members may reply to any topic in this forum**

Topic Author
NHGF [Feed]

FeedBot

Posting Badges

Post by NHGF [Feed] » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:44 pm

ImageiStock.com/MattGush An NYPD officer who saved a 4-year-old girl in a shooting in Times Square earlier this year by carrying her to a paramedic has continued her good deeds by raising $3,000 dollars for the girl’s family as she recovers from her injuries. Officer Alyssa Vogel saved Skye Martinez’s life after she was shot while waiting in line with her family at Line Friends in Times Square in May. She was hit by a stray bullet from a gunman who got into a heated argument. Two other bystanders who injured during the exchange. Vogel then raised money to help the family in their time of need through the website Fund the First, an organization that fundraises for first responders. Vogel began the campaign just after the shooting in May. Months later, she invited Martinez and her family to the precinct to present them with the check, as well as a visit from one of NYPD’s mounted units, Little Joe. “We were surprised when officer Vogel called us,” said mother Sonya Martinez. “When we showed up at the precinct the officers were very kind. They hugged us and my daughter petted the horse.” “Later when we got home she kept talking about the horse and how big he was.” Martinez expressed her gratitude to all of the NYPD officers who helped out. “We are very grateful to the officers for all they did for us that day, and for not forgetting us,” Martinez said. Body cam footage from the May shooting showed Vogel – who is a mother herself – rush to protect Skye, grabbing her and carrying her directly to an ambulance. “I kept telling her to breathe and that her daughter was going to be OK,” Vogel said at the time. “I kept trying to calm her down because she was obviously very scared.”