Do you Reload?

Anything related to ammunition, reloading and reloading supplies.
Forum Information
You will earn 3 pts. per new topic and 1.5 pts. per new post (reply) in this forum.

Topic Author
jimg11

Master (Level II)
Likes given: 45
Likes received: 12

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:16 pm

When I started shooting I was making $1.25 an hour. A box of factory Ammo was at least $5.00. I needed to reload as a box of factory ammo was 1/2 a day's wages. I started with an old Lyman Nut Cracker tool. Slowly I increased my tooling and added more calibers. As my wages increased eventually my costs for factory ammo took less and less of my wages. By the 1990s I was seldom reloading. I would reload if I had special load I wanted but just shooting ammo was reasonably cheap. Now I see the price of ammo increasing and I am thinking that I need to get back into reloading.

Firearms Safety is No Accident. Jim

556NATO

Journeyman (Level III)
Likes given: 15
Likes received: 9

Posting Badges

Post by 556NATO » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:36 am

I've always wanted to get into reloading, but for whatever reason, never got started. A friend of a friend reloads religiously. He reads a lot and seems to know everything there is about the subject. He'll experiment until the bullet flies exactly the way he wants it to. It really is a science. He's retired so he has plenty of time on his hands to learn everything there is to know.

Cranky

Journeyman (Level I)
Gun: .357 MAG
Likes given: 12
Likes received: 7

Posting Badges

Post by Cranky » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:01 am

I've reloaded 12 gauge shells on a friend's old press. It was very simple, but I never reloaded brass. Like 556NATO I've always wanted to get into it, but never found the time.

Topic Author
jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:12 am

I remember well several projects that I was very pleased with the outcome. One was around 1965 when I bought my first 41 Magnum, a model 58 S&W. I had bought a box of Remington High Speed 210 JSP Ammo and was really pleased with the Power and accuracy. Since I would be using this gun as a duty Revolver I bought a couple boxes of the lead bulleted M & P 41 Mag. Remington Ammo. This in my opinion was the worst factory ammo I had ever seen. It was dirty, loud, too much recoil and a general disappointment in accuracy. I bought dies and Speer 220 gr jsp bullets and loading books etc. I must have tried dozens of loads with as many different powders as I could buy or borrow. Almost all were better than the original Remington M&P loads but I found a real winner with 10 gr. of HERCO powder behind the Speer 220 jsp bullet. It was clean, accurate, powerful (900 fps) and easy to shoot. My favorite 41 Magnum load. I do not know if Remington ever improved their 41 Magnum M&P loads. They probably did but I never bought any 41Mag. ammo other than the High Speed 210 JSP Remington 41 magnum.

Cranky

Journeyman (Level I)
Gun: .357 MAG
Likes given: 12
Likes received: 7

Posting Badges

Post by Cranky » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:54 pm

My friend swears that Remington factory ammo has gone way down hill over the years. I haven't seen a problem with it out of my guns.

Topic Author
jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:24 pm

My problem was with the original Remington (1965) 41 Magnum LEAD bullet M&P loading. I never bought another box of this load but the Remington 41 Magnum High Speed 210 gr. JSP loading was wonderful in my estimation and what I used in all my 41 Magnum Revolvers when I wanted a High Speed Loading from 1965 until now. My Reloaded 41 Magnum loads with Speer 220 JSP or Speer 200 JHP in front of 10 gr. HERCO powder and I have used other bullets cast, JHP, and JSP of various makers and 10 gr. + - Herco Powder with excellent results.

556NATO

Journeyman (Level III)
Likes given: 15
Likes received: 9

Posting Badges

Post by 556NATO » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:53 am

I was just looking at this.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... s?slotId=0

I'd need some literature and education to get started.

Topic Author
jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:10 pm

Many reloaders use the progressive loaders but they are quite expensive to get set up with and get loading. If you need to reload thousands of cartridges that is the way to go. I like single stage presses because I only reload a few hundred cartridges at a time most with pistol and revolver rounds. With rifle cartridges a hundred rounds is a lot for me I usually do not reload more than a box or two at a time.

S_I_G

NHGF Admin
Gun: Sig Sauer M400
Referrals: 1
Likes given: 27

Posting Badges

Post by S_I_G » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:34 pm

jimg11 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:10 pm
Many reloaders use the progressive loaders but they are quite expensive to get set up with and get loading. If you need to reload thousands of cartridges that is the way to go. I like single stage presses because I only reload a few hundred cartridges at a time most with pistol and revolver rounds. With rifle cartridges a hundred rounds is a lot for me I usually do not reload more than a box or two at a time.
Do you think it's cost-effective to purchase new brass to load? Maybe from a site like Top Brass or somewhere else?
http://www.topbrass-inc.com/reloading-supplies/
_ _S I G_ _

Topic Author
jimg11

Master (Level II)

Posting Badges

Post by jimg11 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:01 pm

For me brass is obtained from shooting factory loaded cartridges. The new huge increases in cost of factory ammo may cause me to rethink but the cartridge case is very expensive to buy new. I would prefer to reload once fired ammo cases to buying virgin brass. Again the cost is a factor. When I started reloading a box of factory cartridges (in the early 1960s) cost me 2 or 3 hours of my pay. As my pay scale increased over the years the factory ammo took less of my wages until I did much less reloading. Lately the price of factory ammo has been skyrocketing and the economy of reloading looks better and better.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic